"Sinocism is the Presidential Daily Brief for China hands"- Evan Osnos, New Yorker Correspondent and National Book Award Winner
If you like this free daily roundup you can subscribe to it either through RSS or email. See the links to either option at the top right of the page. And if you really like it feel free to donate through the button on the top right.
- World News: Mitt Romney couldn’t have remembered Detroit milestone; he wasn’t born – thestar.com – When Mitt Romney regaled a Michigan audience this week with childhood memories of a landmark moment in Detroit history, it was a rare instance of emotional candour.
And, perhaps, an even rarer example of time travel.
- UPDATE 1-Sina revenue view misses Street, shares down | Reuters –
- 谁来填补700万套保障房的投资缺口？ – 金融 – 21世纪网 – 在房地产市场萧条一片，卖地乏力的当下，令地方政府揪心的，恰是2012年“计划开工700万套以上，基本建成500万套以上”背后庞大的保障房资金缺口。
- “暗战”20亿市场 PM2.5监测设备采购玄机 – 产经 – 21世纪网 – 随着新晋空气监测指标PM2.5纳入新国标，原本沉寂的PM2.5监测行业成为众所注目的蓝海。本报获悉，中国环境监测总站已调集了国内外主要PM2.5…
- China’s Reform, The World Bank And Vested Interests | China Bystander – The World Bank’s report on China in 2030 is a political manifesto disguised as an economic blueprint. Even the title, Building a Modern, Harmonious, and Creative High-Income Society, hits political not economic buttons. It provides China’s reformers with both strong arguments and influential backing to press ahead with reviving the economic reform that has slowed to glacial place now the process has hit the hardest rocks of vested interest.
- 三部门:合理确定的哥“车份”_新闻中心_新浪网 –
- 越南要求中国停止威胁其对西沙南沙“主权”_新闻_腾讯网 –
- Coca-Cola’s China boss says he’s "child of Shanghai Communique" – Xinhua | English.news.cn – As the son of an American diplomat in the early days of Sino-U.S. relations, David G. Brooks spent his teenage years in Beijing shortly after President Nixon's "ice-breaking" visit to China in 1972.
Nearly 40 years later, Brooks still lives in China, but with a different identity — president of American soft drinks giant Coca-Cola's Greater China and Korean branches.
- SINA Reports Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2011 Financial Results – MarketWatch – bad guidance. four letter word for overvalued stock? is SINA? no position
- Dementia Care Services | Alzheimer’s Care Services | Memory Care Services | Emeritus Senior Living –
- Muddy Waters Losing Support in Stock Market – Bloomberg – Carson Block, the short seller and analyst who sparked a 74 percent drop in Sino-Forest Corp. (TRE) shares when he said the company misstated its business, is finding it harder to attract believers to his latest research.
- On the ropes, Apple’s China nemesis still dreams | Reuters – Yang Long-san, Apple's nemesis in a battle over the iPad trademark in China, once strutted the expo halls with dreams of market dominance. His company, Proview, may now be in ruins and his most valuable asset a disputed trademark, but those dreams remain intact.
- China’s State Grid in talks to buy AES’ U.S. wind assets:sources | Reuters – State Grid Corp of China has had talks with U.S. power firm AES Corp (AES.N) about taking a controlling stake in its U.S. wind power business, three sources said, as China's cash-flush state-owned power companies go on an overseas buying spree.
- China sends man to labor camp for SARS rumor | Reuters – Police in a north China city said on Monday that they have sentenced a man to two years of "labor re-education" for spreading rumors of an outbreak of the SARS virus in the city.
- Strobist: How to Avoid Dealing With the Police When Shooting in Public – welcome 2 police state USA
- Economic Growth, Regime Insecurity, and Military Strategy | M. Taylor Fravel – This growing role of noncombat operations in China’s military strategy and operations is important for several reasons:
It demonstrates the continued domestic role for China’s armed forces, which includes the PLA, whose principal mission is external defense, and the paramilitary People’s Armed Police (PAP) charged with maintaining internal stability.
It indicates that the principal effect of economic growth has not been to identify expansive interests overseas that require new capabilities for offensive operations and long-range combat power projection for their protection. Instead, it has reinforced China’s interest in maintaining a stable external environment abroad and, more importantly, in ensuring domestic stability at home.
It suggests that the PLA may be devoting fewer resources to long-range power projection than it otherwise might and that such capabilities will grow at a slower rate than they otherwise would.
- Quick Thoughts Ahead Of Sina Earnings | DigiCha –
- White House Uses Espionage Act to Pursue Leak Cases – NYTimes.com – During a point in history when our government has been accused of sending prisoners to secret locations where they were said to have been tortured and the C.I.A. is conducting remote-controlled wars in far-flung places, it’s not a good time to treat the people who aid in the publication of critical information as spies.
And it’s worth pointing out that the administration’s emphasis on secrecy comes and goes depending on the news. Reporters were immediately and endlessly briefed on the “secret” operation that successfully found and killed Osama bin Laden. And the drone program in Pakistan and Afghanistan comes to light in a very organized and systematic way every time there is a successful mission.
There is plenty of authorized leaking going on, but this particular boat leaks from the top. Leaks from the decks below, especially ones that might embarrass the administration, have been dealt with very differently.
- Two New Reports On US-China Cyber Issues | Sinocism –
- [toread] Out of the public eye, China cracks down on another protesting village | McClatchy –
- [toread] The Economist in China: Old hands | The Economist –
- [toread] White House helps pay for NYPD Muslim surveillance – seattlepi.com –
- [toread] China 2030: Building a Modern, Harmonious, and Creative High-Income Society –
- [toread] Jennifer Richmond | LinkedIn – former head of stratfor china
- [toread] The Global Intelligence Files – MORE (reply from CN65) Re: INSIGHT – CHINA/MINING – new source(s) –
- 《太后与我》的性学价值_李银河的博客 –